Tuesday, September 24, 2013

About This Blog

Web design for every platform
Image Courtesy of Responsive Design
I am a web designer.  At least I want to be. Since I am always following new design techniques on the web I decided to start a blog about my findings and why I think they are important.

Even though I have been creating graphics and websites as a hobby for years, I still consider myself a "new-comer" to the web design scene. I have developed a couple websites, from nothing to something, but I have not yet done enough websites that I could call myself a "professional."

But that is my goal.  To become a professional.  I have been working with HTML and CSS for over six years.  I also have a grasp on simple JavaScript, working on JQuery, PHP, and MySQL.  My skills have all been self-taught.  I want to add "web programmer" to my occupational list.

What I have noticed over time is that standards, techniques, and technology change quickly, particularly those changes revolving around the Internet. Sometimes it is overwhelming to keep up on all those changes, especially if you are only a hobbiest like myself.

The cause of many of these new changes in web design is due to the rise of mobile technologies.  HTML5 and CSS3 where huge upgrades to the World Wide Web, upgrades that took years to happen.  The fact that I am learning all these new techniques and skills regarding different forms of media during this important time of change in the way user's view the Internet, makes me very fortunate.  For experienced designers that have been codding XHTML and CSS for years, some of these changes will significantly change the future of their careers and many of them will have to re-educate themselves so they can learn more modern web development.

A good example of a responsive design can be found at Responsive Web Design. If you change the width of your browser window you can see how the text and images resize depending on how big your window is. So whether you just keep your browser window smaller on you desktop screen, or you view the website on your mobile device, the website will change to accommodate any resolution.

An example of a website that is geared towards mobile development, but does not have a mobile version of their website is XDA Developers.  I read posts on this website all the time, but they do not have a mobile version, only an app.  The app is definitely for mobile devices, but lacks the ability to search and sort through forums and posts like the website.  The app is actually pretty useless to me in my opinion.

I find myself researching these changes often on my own.  I spend hours, upon hours of my time searching and reading articles, journals, and other web resources.  My quest for knowledge has left me well informed in regards to these standards and tricks-of-the-trade.  

I have decided that I would bring this collection of knowledge to one place for anyone to use and benefit from.  Many other websites do this. But when it comes to changes in technology, the more resources pointing to the information and the more detailed reviews backing up that information, the better. The information must be found, sometimes explained in different ways, and collaborative reviews of such information also assist in making those changes better.  

If you are interested in web standards, webdesign, or changes to new technologies on the Internet, then please subscribe to my blog today.  Also feel free to post links to your favorite responsive designs in the comments.

No comments: